Monday, March 28, 2005

humble pie

Easter was pretty much as I expected it to be. I went to church services with my family, mostly to make an attempt to reconcile some of my mother's and I theological differences. And it worked well -- for about half the day. By the time we arrived at the second grandparents house talk about God and the like started, and of course I don't know when to keep my big mouth shut.

Truthfully, I'm glad that we got into a fight. Mainly because we always seem to skirt the heart of our issues and end up not ever really talking about them. I think because neither one of us wants to hurt the other's feelings. But Sunday some feelings were hurt -- mine and hers. She thinks that I'm a heathen and I think that she's close-minded and that was made blatantly clear. And in the end, after a few tears, we continued to agree to disagree. Maybe someday I'll be less forceful in my convictions, and maybe someday she'll realize that God is larger than the ideas presented from the little pulpit in our Pentecostal church back home. And maybe not. For me it is good enough to know that her fear for my soul is born out of pure love and that makes me feel blessed.

-d.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Parents would not be alive without them!" There is often an underlaying power struggle..Did I raise my son with these views? I am sure your feelings on the issues of religion were not entirely your own doing?
However, remind mom every now and then that she
did a wonderful job raising her son and try to steer the conversation away from her beliefs you do not adhere to........ just a pennies worth of thought!

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home