Monday, February 21, 2005

Fear and Loathing the Bits and Pieces

This weekend was a whirlwind. (say that three times fast.) Lots of booze and other 'extra-curriculars' in pure Hunter S. Thompson style. And only did I learn today, after watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas on Sunday whilst imbimbing the poisons of this earth, that the writer had passed. er, committed suicide. whatever. I won't go on here about how the writer was a great man or a literary genius or anything like that. I'm not sure that any of those titles would fit him. But I can say that his style was to be admired (by me and a couple of my friends at least.) We found him in the same shelves that held Jack Kerouac and Ken Kesey. He was an American writer and an original voice - for those things he will be missed.

. . . .

Our alcohol fueled weekend was kicked off with some visitors. Adam P. and his new fiance were driving through CBus on Friday night and wanted to have dinner with GMoney and I. Adam, GMoney and I go way back -- all the way to the fifth grade -- and so it's nice to get together when we can and reminisce about our younger days. We decided on TGIF's for dinner and drinks (although Adam didn't drink because he had to drive on to Dayton before his night was to end) and before we could order our food, Chica and her date showed up at our table. It was a surprise for everyone there - how did we pick the same restaurant in this big cow town? and weren't they supposed to be at a rock concert? -- one that was filled with hurried introductions and ackward pauses. After dinner, GMoney and I headed back home to watch movies and generally not move or think too much for the rest of the night. Fridays are sluggish what with an entire work week still hanging close overhead.

Saturday, on the otherhand, is usually an adventerous day. Chica woke me up about 10:30 and carted me off to the Waffle House before I could say no (or even wash my face.) Although I did manage to throw on some different clothes and brush my teeth before I was wisked out the door. The rest of the day went the way of more debauchery and drinking and other items of general fun. I watched more movies (Anchorman and Friday Night Lights) before finding myself inebriated (again.) And since there is little to do while drunk, except to keep drinking, I did just that. I suppose that I did spend a few minutes lamenting how poorly this Lent is going for me. I would be even more upset, but for the fact that I'm just not trying all that hard.

the Sabbath was like I said. More debauchery in memori of great American writers gone before me. I didn't take the time this weekend to think much at all. Most of the decisions I made were really made for me and I spent zero minutes contemplating the existence of the universe.

It was a lovely time.

-d.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thisweekendwasawhirlwind
thisweekendwasawhirlwind
thisweekendwasawhirlwind

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home