Monday, January 31, 2005

new day, new week, new year

I've been avoiding this space lately. Not ignoring, but avoiding. And I think that it' been healthy for me (for the most part.) What can I say? I've had a lot on my mind lately.

And so I got away this weekend. My sister drove up on Friday and picked me up from work. We did the go-out thing and went and had dinner and a couple of drinks. We talked about our perspectives on where we were from and where that was leading us. My sister's really great for doing that.

Saturday we drove to our hometown. There's nothing really better for clearing my head than seeing my mom. I don't really know why -- I guess that I'm still a big baby who needs a hug from his mommy every now and again. Mom and I didn't even really talk about what's bothering me, we don't need to. It's just nice to be near her, and to listen to her singing hymns under her breath while she makes a meal for her family. It's nice to have a place that still feels like home, no matter how long you've been gone.

And I chatted with my Dad. Mostly about nothing. We talk about work and politics and faith a little too. My Father is a realist - not to say that he doesn't see positives in world, he simply is always preparing for the worst. I have not always held that quality of his in high regard, but as I've gotten older it's taught me that the worst sometimes does happen and it goes by a whole lot smoother if you've at least acknowledged its possibility. Thanks to his foresight, I've been saved from trouble on a number of occasions. Hopefully he knows that I'll pay him back for all that love one of these days.

And I went sledding with my little brother and sister. They're so cute and prepubesent. I love being a big brother, sometimes. nah, scratch that -- all the time.

So it was a whole lotta family for me this weekend. And some healing to be sure. Hope you find some healing this week too.

-d.

1 Comments:

Blogger I am Z said...

nice post!

man, i haven't been sledding in toooooo long. :)

peace,
zayne

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home