Thursday, August 03, 2006

Liberating God From the Minds of Men

Last night, as I lay awake in the heat, trying desperately to sleep, I began a conversation in my mind. In it were two characters: myself and an ex-pastor of mine. We have quite a history between us, but that is neither here nor there. In the short, a long time ago, we wronged one another and neither of us have had the gull to apologize to the other, and so we have since parted ways. Anyway, before I get completely off track, The Pastor and I were discussing our views about the world, mankind and the like. Needless to say there was and is a great divide in our beliefs, but as you may already know it is quite possible for two men to walk two entirely different paths, ending up at exactly the same destination. Regardless of our differences, the two of us were managing to have a fairly civil conversation, except that he kept insisting that I not use any profanity (and if you know me personally, you’ll know that is a near impossibility)

Throughout our conversation, The Pastor has relatively good points – this I’ve always known, being as I attended church regularly since I was a boy up until a few years back. The way of church, I believe, is fairly righteous, if not often a little backwards. For the most part though, the guidelines they set before their congregation are simple values in place so that the people may lead a good, wholesome life. The trouble begins when the masses become so institutionalized. Soon enough, they start using their own accepted values as a measuring stick for all man’s worthiness of God’s grace (forgetting, in fact, that no man is worthy of God.) The imposition of a single set of values upon the whole of society doesn’t end up being righteous at all, but terribly obtuse in judgment.

Literalism can be quite dangerous, especially when taken to the extreme. History shows us that Fundamentalism and the imposition of their (often extreme) set of moral codes most often results in violence against those who the institution deems unworthy, or unclean. Often it seems that the church has taken on the role of Michael, the archangel, seeking to cleanse the earth of all traces of perdition and sin; it is through these acts of ‘cleansing’ that we find the most terrible acts of atrocity: war, murder and genocide, justified because the institutionalized masses collectively decide, with surety, the will of God.

And there’s the rub.

Now, I don’t think it an impossibility to know God or His will. I think that God speaks to all of us, everyone. I know with certainty that I have felt a guiding hand in my life; I have seen His great works with my eyes, but I would not suppose that what He does in my life is a mandate issued for the earth. Of course, The Pastor comes back with the only rebuttal a Literalist can have: Scripture! Scripture! Scripture! But that’s where we have to disagree, in the interpretation of the scripture. The Pastor uses the scripture to trap God into a little box of dogmatic do’s and don’ts, and I try my damndest to let it set me free.

. . . . . .

Once upon a time, I too was quite the literalist. Some would even say that I was a fanatic. But when I became so wrapped up in my spirituality that I wanted to abandon everything this earth had endowed me, and take up my cross, and walk the earth on faith alone –everyone, the church especially, told me I was insane, a crazyman. They told me that I could not give up my life, that faith simply did not work that way. Some days I actually lament that I listened to them, but I would have missed out on so much.

7 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

This is quite an interesting conversation, Dan. I tend to agree with what you said about Scripture leading to the creation of "do's" and "don'ts" ... and what surprises me most is that some people seem not to realize that the Word of God -- even if it really is THE actual words of God -- is translated/interpreted/presented, in some fashion or form, by MAN.

Ultimately, maybe we all see what we want to see in those words. Who knows. (Maybe that's the whole point.)

9:41 PM  
Blogger Di said...

(Or maybe we simply see what we need to see.)

9:42 PM  
Blogger taliendo said...

the actual conversation was a bit more entertaining. . .this is more what I gleaned from my own imagination.

and yes, i do think that we each are given, or see, that which we need at any point in time. I know that in reading scripture I have come across the same verse with different meanings attached depending on what was going on in my life at the time. But, I think that it's important that realize that a relationship with God is personal, when He speaks to us (through scripture or otherwise)he is giving us a personal message, not a blanket statment for EVERYBODY WHO EVER LIVED, or other such bullhockey.

thanks for taking the time.

10:37 PM  
Blogger polyester_pixie said...

hey danny,

i recognise your voice and your thoughts. as i see it, the fundamentalists aren't fundamental enough and the liberals aren't free enough. i know you might want to reverse this idea but there's a line between going after something half heartedly and actually attaining it. kinda like not finding freedom in jesus because wishing for it, mimicking it, theorizing about it, obcessing about it, dancing dangerously close to it, isn't "it".

i think this is what i want to say.
d.
: )

10:41 AM  
Blogger taliendo said...

No, I agree with you d. and that's why I chose to leave in the little bit at the end. At one time I was in the fundy-camp, and I loved it there (with all it's flaws.) And now, I suppose, that I've jumped the fence. Going away to school and seeing a little more of the world truly opened my eyes to what God was capable of.

And now I do find myself somewhere in the middle - maybe even lukewarm at times. But I'm trying. I'm trying to see God with fresh eyes everyday, and I'm trying to let the scriptures set me free from the old identities of man. I think that there is a way that we can find God and not adopt the old hatred, bigotry, violent nature that many drew from their searching. At least, that is what I hope.

3:53 PM  
Blogger broccoflower said...

Interesting...

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like your blog,you are very talent.Vendant les chaussures sport, notre objectif est d’établir un réseau complet fournissant des sports chaussures pas chères. Nous avons établi une bonne relation coopérative à long terme avec des sources de fabricants et avec des agents des sports chaussures, de plus, toutes les marchandises ont la garantie de qualité et de crédibilité, donc vous êtes rassuré de les acheter et les utiliser, nous n’épargnerons aucun effort pour vous donner notre services parfaits.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home