Monday, September 20, 2004

bleary eyed

The weekend was so wonderful, I'm not sure that I can express it in words. It certainly did more for me than words can describe.

I left the city early Friday (pretty much right after work) and as my sister and I made our way back through the fields of corn and soy to my boyhood home I could feel the stress of this life floating away. My mind was loosened and my heart began to speak again, and maybe even sing a bit. I hate to sound cliche, however, Friday and Saturday took me to a simpler time in my life where enjoyment could be wrought from the smallest things. I got to play football with my brother. He started JV this year, on top of doing baseball, choir, orchestra, and private violin lessons. He said that he wants to run Cross Country too. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm a little jealous of my 13 year old brother - he's amazing at pretty much everything he does. I was also treated to my mother's cooking, my grandmother's cooking, and my other grandmother's cooking. How's that - food for thought? On top of all this, I got to see Howdy too. He and I went to Brel-Air Bowling alley in Piqua to shoot some pool, have a few beers and watch the OSU game. I can't believe that he's going to get married. Of all of the guys that I ran around with in highschool, I would never have pegged Adam to be the first of us to get hitched. eh, anyway, good times were had by all.

Sunday was the Cain/Casto family reunion at Madison County Fairgrounds in London, Ohio. This tradition has been going on in my family, every year since 1917. I spent most of the afternoon playing with my cousin's son, Jayce. I really wish that I had some pictures to share; the boy is just beautiful. Jayce turned a year old last month, and although I don't get to see him all that often, I do cherish the times we have together. His father and I used to run around, getting into all sorts of trouble when we were young. I don't know, being there - with a baby - makes me think that I'm more ready to settle down than I'll admit to myself. I do want a family and that smothering normalcy that is American life. I guess that deep down I'm still resisting (or maybe just having trouble moving on.)

I started a short story about my brother, that I'll probably end up posting over here at The Orchard. I'll try and get that up by the end of the day. Oh, and speaking of the Orchard: a big shout out to all the good peoples over there - I won't name names because I'll miss someone that I'll regret later. You know who you are, thanks for making my days livable. Truthfully, you apples have become just as important to me as the music for which we meet over, I consider both a godsend.
. . . . .

thought of the moment: "I went to London and all I got was this lousy headcold."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home