Monday, September 13, 2004

in the mood

I was going to come in today and tell about my weekend. A friend's blog calls this 'toothpaste posts.' As in, I went to the store because I was out of toothpaste. However, I'm just not in the mood to have this endless recounting of days. Is that all a journal is supposed to be? The record of my life can't be counted in rolls of toilet paper and tubes of toothpaste.

I've felt the autumn creeping in, and it does make my heart yearn. It's the good sort of pain that can only express itself in the meanderings of late night coffees and endless pages of solitary notes. I also like to draw. Over the weekend I spent some time detailing this charcoal of a spider spinning a web that I started over a year ago. I like to come at my art that way, slowly over time. Everytime I play a song that I've written, or revisit an old journal entry, I find new things that excite and speak to me. This, of course leads to new creativity. The work stands alone, and speaks to me, the creator. This kind of collaboration leads the work down new paths that seemingly both it and I have chosen. It all reminds me of my relationship with God.

There it is: the relationship between creation and creator. It's a delightful dance of life and experience, one that every human can know.

. . .

There is a crisp breeze today; the colors are ripe in the world, and I can't stop daydreaming. There is a universe of endless possibility at the tips of my fingers. All this makes me quietly smile and speak to myself, "Self, today is a grand day. It is filled with strength and hope. The world awaits your engagement." And then I lull off in the chorus of "This is the day that the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." I am brimming over with contentment.

2 Comments:

Blogger likearadio said...

jftr, that was a lovely non-toothpaste post. :) how wonderful that you were able to have communion through your art, and in this time of year. (reminds me of a conversation in the orchard...)

enjoy the onslaught of autumn. i'm wildly jealous!

12:38 PM  
Blogger taliendo said...

Thanks, Mel.

I adore this time of year!

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home