Tuesday, August 17, 2004

vision testing

Do you remember having your vision tested when you were in grammar school? - those little flashes of green light on either side of your peripheral? "Please raise your left hand your your right to indicate on which side you see the flashing light."

This is how God has been talking to me lately. It seems like I've been allowed only little flashes of His vision to keep me on this beaten path. The whispers are so vague that I have been set on edge, ready for the next signal as to which direction I should now take. Matthew wrote that the gate is strait and narrow is the way, and so I have been cautious to proceed without testing the water's of my own spirituality. I think that this is something that we all go through; it is perhaps even the purpose of this finite life. How I long to be as Peter and to have the faith of the Eternal, to step into the depths, and yet time and time again, I find myself in this wood - chopping trees and trying my Lord.

I've also been working on the crucification of my flesh. sounds gruesome doesn't it? Fasting is something that I've practiced for a number of years; something that has an immediate affect on my spirituality in drawing me closer to both my own spiritual feelings and the communion of my spirit with others. The Native Americans practiced sense-deprivation, along side fasting, to enhance their ability to "see" more clearly. The Buddhists practice detachment excercises to seperate themselves from this world that they may see into the next -- upon reaching enlightenment one is made free. All of this fits in quite nicely with my intended goal - to figure out where exactly God is leading me.

I suppose that I've been antcipating this huge shift in perspective for the last five years or so. And as I said in the previous post: I'm terrible at dealing with the anxious feelings of anxiety. I feel like if I'm not totally preparred at any given moment in my life God could just move -- leaving me in the dust. And while I'm sure that this won't happen, it is a thought that plays a motivating role in keeping me talking to God.

And He walks with me, and he talks with me
And He tells me I am His own,
And the Joy we share as we tarry there
none other has ever known.
~In the Garden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home