Wednesday, September 08, 2004

rain

I've been of the insomniac club for many a year now. I really count this as both a blessing and a curse. I mean, I love the night -- it's always been a time where I can collect thoughts and live inside my head. The hours between sunset and sunrise have been nothing less than inspirational to my creative outbursts. Plus, I don't require all that much sleep. As long as I have a solid REM cycle and a couple of cups of coffee in the morning I feel fine all day long. My limit is about 3 1/2 hours.

My roommate and I drove to our hometown last night to pay a visit to my favorite uncle. Rhino always enjoys seeing us boys; he always showers us with presents and sends us on our merry way. Last night we got into town about 9:20, and although the time isn't exceptionally late, and it was all too possible to have made the drive back to Columbus, we were tired and wanted to find a place to lie low and enjoy the rest of our evening. This lead us to GMoney's parent's house (where no one lives, since his Dad got transfered to South Carolina.) Their house is as posh as it always was, and with no one else coming home, we had free reign to shoot pool and play some Bond. Everytime I go home with G, I feel as if I am revisited by a former version of myself. We tend to take on the rolls that we filled during our final years in high school, laughing long into the night, spinning stories that we lived not half a decade ago.

Unfortunately, since we were in Sidney, we also had to get up an hour ahead of normal schedule. The drive to work this morning (about an hour and fifteen minute commute) was peaceful, albeit dreary. It just started to drizzle as we pulled out of the driveway, and it's yet to cease raining. And it's a cool, autumn-like rain. I love this kind of weather, especially on a day that you can spend on the porch, wrapped in a quilt with a good Dostoevsky novel. Again - Unfortunately, I've spent the day here, at work. I'm not going to start complaining about my job or anything, but there are a million things that I would rather be doing today. Not all of them pay that well. I suppose that I'm really thankful for this job. I mean, I spent the five months previous to this pretty much unemployed. That really sucked.

So today, I'm stuck inside, unable to enjoy mothernature's weeping. She's made me a little sad, and kind of tired too.

-d.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wildefrost said...

I agree. Middle of the night thoughts are always the most treasured.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home