Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Mom Does the Beatles

Not literally of course. heh.

One of my earliest and most consistant birthday memories is waking up to my mother singing,

Today is your birthday
na-na-na-na-na-na
Happy Birthday to you
na-na-na-na-na-na

Needless to say, Mom is no John Lennon or Paul McCartney. In fact, she's quite tone deaf, but that never stopped the contageous happiness that she spread in those early birthday mornings. It was a guarentee that your day would, in the very least, be full of smiles.

Now that I'm getting older, I was actually dreading this day. I've been dwelling on how I'm quite into my adulthood, although I don't act much like an adult. I've been looking closely in the mirror at the grey and balding head I sport every day. I even noticed a few new wrinkles - and not like smile-line wrinkles, but old people wrinkles.

And, despite all the negativity that's been in my mind about this recent aging, I woke up today with my mother's voice in my ear. I've been smiling ever since.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Age like gravity, it can hold you down if you let it!
Try looking in the mirror by candle light! It is all in the lighting! So lighten-up , the best years are yet to be..........and smile, happy wrinkles are much nicer than grumpy ones!

2:54 PM  
Blogger -kylie- said...

Sweet, sweet Dan. :)

11:57 PM  
Blogger I am Z said...

great post dan! thanks for sharing it. hope your special day was greater than you thought it would be.

peace,
zayne

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home