Monday, November 22, 2004

Will the Circle?

With the onset of this holiday season, I have found myself wrapped up in childlike excitement. I'm not sure if it's simply because I am becoming older, or if it's something about this particular year that has risen this renewed sense of thanksgiving.

During my college years the holidays were a much needed respite from studies and classes and the basic whirlwind that is the college life. This year is the first year that I'm not already caught up in a bustle -- but I feel the bustle surely catching up to me. Well, truthfully, last year was my first year to be not so busy. It was going to be my first really adult holiday season and I was a recently unemployed youngin'. But last year my Grandpa, my Pops, spent the greater part of the holiday season between hospitals and nursing homes. My family and I were blessed to spend one more Thanksgiving with him, even though he was too sick to really enjoy the festivities (or the food.) And by the time Christmas rolled around we were waiting for him to die. The questions (the hope) no longer really lingered in anyone's mind. Since the holiday cheer never really had the opportunity to sink in, the season quickly departed without so much as a whisper. I don't even really remember Christmas.

This year has been a lot of fresh starts, I suppose. I got a job. Yah! and everything is going pretty well in my life. I like where I am, and I like where I think I'm going. I have a lot to be thankful for: my life and health, my family, my friends. This year has been mostly free from a lot of the strains and stresses that I've always carried with me. I don't really know what changed, but whatever straw broke that camel's back I am thankful for too. I've found it quite easy to lay down my strife and worries lately, and that, in turn, has lead me to a greater ability to deal with my problems in a more logical and realistic way. Plus, I'm really looking forward to the loooong weekend ahead. I don't get enough time to spend with family, and I'm happy to see and visit with them, all of them, soon.
. . . .
And on another note:

The Buckeyes kicked some major ass this past Saturday! The OSU/Michigan game, the biggest college rivalry that I've ever witnessed, was in full swing over the weekend. Now, as I've said before, I'm not really all that in to sports. That said, it is impossible to live in Columbus, Ohio during football season and not be caught up in the football craze. And yes, the Buckeyes had a pretty shitty season this year. The entire season, people were walking around on Monday mornings looking as if they all had to go out and shoot Old Yeller over the weekend. But today it has been a complete turn around: co-workers are smiling and high-fiving in the hallways!

It's a good time to be a Buckeye!

-d.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home